“Our priority has been to keep people safe.”
Until Dawn developer Supermassive Games has pushed back the launch of Little Hope, the second game in its Dark Pictures Anthology series.
The horror adventure was set to launch this summer, but will now arrive in the autumn due to complications arising from remote game development while the studio itself remains closed.
“It rests with me to make the unfortunate announcement that Little Hope will be delayed past the summer release already announced, now targeting fall 2020,” Supermassive boss Pete Samuels said in a statement posted to the studio’s Twitter this afternoon.
“Our priority has been to keep people safe, and that includes actors and stage crews on whose talents we depend so heavily, other workforces external to our business who all help to create the games we make, and all of the talented people that work within our studio.”
A Little Hope update. pic.twitter.com/n0PBjLCMOr
— Supermassive Games (@SuperMGames) June 11, 2020
Little Hope was already set to launch a littler later than expected for fans of Supermassive’s horror brand. The studio originally said it wanted to release a couple of Dark Pictures Anthology games per year – a schedule the studio still aspires to achieve in the future, Samuels told Eurogamer in an interview in April.
Back then, Samuels said all performance capture for Little Hope had been completed, though shoots for future games had been postponed.
“There’s certain things in our process we’ve had to put on hold, and rejig things coming down the pipe,” Samuels told me. “Fortunately for Little Hope, we’d already done all that, we’ve already got all that data so development can carry on. Slightly less effectively, at the moment, but we’re confident at where we’ll end up.”
There’s no firmer date than autumn at present – perhaps a better fit for Little Hope’s darker 1692 setting.