Ellie and Co take the top spot from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
This list, which covers US sales only, looks at both physical and digital sales on PC and consoles, across the month. Nintendo’s sales are slightly skewed however as they don’t share sales numbers from the Eshop. It should also be noted that games are ranked on a dollar sales amount, rather than units sold.
June’s top 20 are as follows:
- The Last of Us Part II – PS4
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare – PS4, Xbox One, PC
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons – Switch
- Grand Theft Auto V – PS4, Xbox One, PC
- Mortal Kombat 11 – PS4, Xbox One, PC
- Red Dead Redemption II – PS4, Xbox One, PC
- Ring Fit Adventure – Switch
- NBA 2K20 – PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC
- Mario Kart 8: Deluxe – Switch
- Minecraft Dungeons – PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – Switch
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege – PS4, Xbox One, PC
- Minecraft: Playstation 4 Edition – PS4
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – Switch
- Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order – PS4, Xbox One, PC
- Borderlands 3 – PS4, Xbox One, PC
- Need for Speed: Heat – PS4, Xbox One, PC
- Persona 4 Golden – PC
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom: Rehydrated – PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC
- Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey – PS4, Xbox One, PC
— NPD Games (@npdgames) July 17, 2020
While it’s not surprise to see The Last of Us: Part II knock Call of Duty: Modern Warfare off the top spot, there are some things to note. Industry analyst Mat Piscatella stated that “The Last of Us: Part II achieved the highest launch month dollar sales of any 2020 release to date.” and that it “instantly becomes the 3rd best-selling game of the year.”
Ring Fit Adventure climbed a whopping 828 places up the chart into seventh place, likely due to restocks. Animal Crossing: New Horizons unsurprisingly stays in the top three, and as certain as death and taxes, GTA V remains in the top five. Nintendo have a strong showing in the charts with five of the top 15 games being Switch exclusives, and therefore a smaller audience to sell to.
Nearer the bottom of the charts, SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle For Bikini Bottom: Rehydrated sadly floundered down in 19th place after only releasing, however it is worth nothing that it did only launch on the 23rd of the month. Persona 4 Golden managed to sneak into 18th place after being announced and released on PC within last month and Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey just clings onto 20th place, likely due to the upcoming Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla.
In terms of accessories, it’s reported that “The Xbox Elite Series 2 Wireless Controller was the best-selling Accessory of June and 2020 year-to-date (dollar sales).”
All in all I’d personally say June’s sales are probably as you’d expect them. What do you think, are there any surprises in there? How do you think July will stack up with the release of Ghost of Tsushima and Paper Mario: The Origami King?